My Internship in Outward Bound Taiwan

By Unknown - February 11, 2014


Outward bound Taiwan was not in my choice for my internship. I choose to have my internship in school because I scared I might not be able to enter into Outward Bound Singapore to work , at least I can have another direction which is becoming an Physical education teacher which is known as PE teacher! The reason why I decided to go Outward Bound Taiwan for internship because my teacher told me that is waste for me to stay in Singapore , and she encourage me to go overseas instead . I did told her that I am worry about the financial part and guess what is her reply ? Don't worry , if need I will sponsor you . And in my mind I was like WOW ! Is not because of her to sponsor but her heart wanting me to grab the opportunity . Therefore I went home to inform my dad about it and guess what is his reply : he say yes immediately. Actually I thought he will reject but didn't know he will agreed : )

To prepare myself for enough cash to spend in Taiwan , I managed to work part time at a book store. Thank God for the job and I managed to bring about 2 k Singapore dollar to Taiwan . It may seems to be a lot but thinking back I think is worth to bring that amount because I really can spend a lot : X





So on 07 Oct 2013 , I left Singapore to Taiwan for 4 months with two of my schoolmates Pei Xuan and Jun you. Both of them is from my course and I am not really close with them but nevertheless I hope this 4 months I am able to build stronger friendship with them .
Scroll down to see more photos and my experience here in Outward Bound Taiwan !


Second day of internship we immediately went to rope course training . We learn how to tie their knots which is use for belaying , change the rope , introduce the elements they have and other than that they actually time you from changing the rope to tie the knots and make it neat. I think is a good training because in future when we need to change rope and tie knots for course we are able to do it fast instead of taking our own time.




 [ I will not be able to tell you so much in depth of details what I did but I can share with everyone those I think is very memorable to me during these 4 months in Outward Bound Taiwan ]


IN Singapore we do not have any ' river ' , What we have is only Singapore River . 
Alright I know is lame !
The first month I came to Outward Bound Taiwan , I managed to do river trekking. First time I went there is with other full time instructor because I need to experience it myself and at the same time I also need to know how it should be run.



Those who know me , you should know that I am afraid of water even though I know how to swim and I do go swimming pool to swim every week ! I still remember when we reach one of the activity place , one of the instructor ah hai actually ask me to come over and he say me to put my both hand in the front and step back a bit and fall onto the water . This activity is trust fall. I guess everyone hear this game before but most of the time we do it on the land and seldom on the water . It's was a good one .






This is my second time seeing waterfall because in my year one in Republic polytechnic I remember joining Nomad camp and I did experience waterfall abseiling and it was really fun . But this time round , I got to walk inside the waterfall to get into another side and during the process is scary because you will afraid that you might slip and head down into the water . Therefore , for me I will just hold it tight and walk carefully . When I reach the place I was told to jump off . Second challenge which is also water , I have no choice but to jump. Happy to complete it because I overcome it ! During our experience we are also told what we should look out , how should we see the safety of our participants and many more else - this is good because on the actual day I know what to expect and knowing what I do. On the actual everything went smoothly and I came back with blue black on my knee area. It's was a good experience and hopefully in future I can have such a good opportunity.





Even though I am a outdoor person who is studying diploma in Outdoor adventure learning I am afraid of heights just that I didn't show because of flow theory which I learn in school. Flow theory means I am in my own world and when people cheer for me or so ever I will not be able to listen and most of the time I am able to complete it without any fear . I managed to go up cat walk and tree valley park rope course. Other than experience it , I also did show the participants how to come down. After a week of the rope course lesson , we start to help in changing the rope and to be honest , I am super afraid because in Singapore during my 5 days internship in Outward Bound Singapore I did drop the rope therefore I tell myself this shall not happened in Taiwan and every time I change the rope I will be super careful, if not I got to treat everyone bubble tea. I also managed to look out for participants safety.





Ya ! I did it! Jump out from 18m High Pample Pole! I am not embarrassed to share that I did stand on the top for about 20 minutes because I am scared to jump out to experience the fall impact. But nevertheless, what going through my mind was safety. Despite working in this field knowing about how all the safety works in those element , there is still fears in me. There are times I can trick my mind but sometimes I cant because my mind really can imagine lots of things! Nevertheless, I still jump off and Thank God I manage to take up the step of Faith if not I guess by walking down I will regret! 



I have an opportunity to take a group by myself! The first time I was with a full time OBT instructor and he gave me opportunity to lead games , the second time I was with a full time OBT instructor, he started to give me more roles to take , the third time I was partnering with my Singapore internship friends and the fourth time I was alone taking a group!  Is really not easy but nevertheless, I managed to learn a lot of things!
 Other than leading groups I managed to take up some roles in camp!  Like for example : I can introduce the equipment needed to use during the rope course . For now , I did introduce the rope course equipment , the belayer team , cooking equipment , kayak etc this may seems to be easy for you but to be honest it is tough for me because I need to speak in Chinese and most of the time I will use goggle translation to do it . It will take up quite a lot of time but I think if I want to do it well I got to do the extra miles. Let's me share with you the first time I start to teach the participants.




 Here are some of the picture taken while I am teaching the participants how to wear their hardness and helmet correctly!
I managed to do it well and I managed to bring the message across in a fun way instead of the usual strict me. After I am done I was like Phew, finally it has ended! I think I did pretty well and I would like to say GOOD JOB TIFFANY!













 Before I end this post, I would like to thank every single one of the staff in Outward Bound Taiwan for taking care of me and guiding me along during my internship there. 
I know I am always the one who will keep asking question because my mandarin is really bad and I need to keep asking for clarification! Thanks for being patients with me and of cos not forgetting my two Singapore school mates who help me along through this journey! Thank you guys! Thank you ones again OUTWARD BOUND TAIWAN!
 Hopefully in 2 years’ time I can be back to visit you guys! Love Ya!







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments