What you need to take note of when you are looking for a Part Time Jobs

By Unknown - June 21, 2015

Have you experience all these before?

1. Pocket money is never enough
2. There is endless wanting list

No matter how much my parents gave me, it is never enough for me even though I get more pocket money compare to my classmates. Looking back at the age of 12 I started to look for a part time jobs in Singapore . When I look through the entire job requirement, most of them require the applicant to be at least 16 years old. There is limited part time jobs for students.  Despite that, I did not give up on searching. Slowly and surely I managed to get a job by selling those seasonal cards like Christmas cards on the streets at Bugis area.  The extra money out of the basic pay it does depend on how much you sell. At first it was quite tough because people will just walk away and always facing rejection but that's not the end. There are still nice and generous people around. They know I am young therefore when I approach them; they will support me by getting one of the cards. At that time, those cards were not even cheap! Was more expensive than those selling at handcraft store. When you are around my age, when you managed to earn money by yourself, the sense of achievement you get, words can't describe it.  I guess this generation kids don't need to come out to work for extra money as I believe that most of them will just stretch out their hands to ask for more and their parents will just give.

Schooling does not stop me from working. I still continue to work part time after school. Searching    for jobs through friends, online part time job portal, newspaper and give a look out while I am out    shopping with my friends. It requires time to get a job as they have lot of requirement like working   experience, working hours etc.
Why not let me share some of my personal working experiences with everyone. Sharing the bad and     the good side of having a part time job while you are still a student.
One day while I am shopping with my friends at Bugis street, I managed to spot a few shops that is currently looking for sales assistant, so I decided to give it a try! Next few days, I was called up for interview and I got the job. WOOHOO!  Agreed pay was $800 at that time, I can't remember how   many days I am required to work.

After working for 2 months, I realize that my paid given to me was not $800, is even lower than $400. I feel so cheated and I quit my job! I went to MOM to log in a case but sadly it requires a lot of     documents and in order to get the money back. At that age, I don't even know what to do and how I can get more details about the shop, At the end I just let the matter rest. Till today, the retail store is still standing strong at Bugis. I just take it as a life experience and hopefully I am able to share so that students like me will not get cheated!  Personally, I will recommend those who take up part time job to know more about your company. For example:  Boss full name, the store registered name, black and white agreement of pay etc. This can help when things happened and MOM - ministry of manpower will be able to track down the owner easily.



After working for a few part time jobs, I managed to get a retail job with a high paid and awesome working environment in town area. I have work for that shop for almost half a year and then before next month we will need to send in our working schedule and guess what? Out of the sudden, my boss says that she closing down the shop and all of us don't need to come work anymore. At that point of time She still owe us a few months paid. This time round thank God I am not alone , there are actually about 8 part times sales assistant who have not yet get their pay. She mention that she will pay us soon but after waiting for quite some time someone among us decided to report to MOM.  At the end, she set up a chat group and pay those who didn't report her to MOM. Once she done paying up she will kick us out of the chat group. I not sure whether at the end everyone managed to get their pay a not including those who complain her to MOM ! Moral of the story, get to know your colleagues and if this happened, at least you know you are not alone and when a lot of people complain together then the case will be sound more serious.
After all the bad experience, shall we listen to one good part time working experience?

I been working at Suntec city one of the pushcart selling sunglasses for about two years plus. I love the working environment and the boss is very nice. Every time when he comes down to the shop he will buy some food down for his staff. During that time while i am still a student, I will ask for advance pay and he will just give without asking much. Can you see the amount of trust that was given between the employee and employer? The job is very relaxing even though there is a sales target to hint. Sadly to say that about 3 year working with them, they shifted it to other location and they require full time instead of part time. So being a student at that time i give up the Job. If you were to ask me again, will i go back if my boss approaches me? The answer is YES.
The main purpose of me sharing with you is not because I don’t want to aim at any organization, I just want to share my part time jobs singapore working experience with everyone and when you are looking for part time job you will need to be extra careful.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments